An easy, elegant trifle of poached strawberries with a hint of sherry, vanilla yogurt and Italian sponge fingers.
It's the kind of dessert you whip up in under 20 minutes that will satisfy any sweet craving while remaining healthy at the same time!
- 500g 1 lb strawberries, washed, hulled & halved
- 1/4 cup castor (berry) sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup sherry or muscat
- 250g sponge finger biscuits (savoiardi)
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 4 serving bowls or glasses
- Place strawberries in a saucepan with sugar and water. Heat over a medium heat and gently shake saucepan to dissolve sugar. Cook gently for 5 minutes. Once the strawberries start to release liquid, add the sherry or muscat and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until liquid thickens to a syrup consistency then turn heat off and allow strawberries and liquid to cool.
- Assemble trifles. Place a spoonful of yogurt in each glass. Break sponge fingers in half and add a layer to the glasses. Spoon on some strawberries and pour over syrup to soak sponge fingers. Top with yogurt, more strawberries and liquid and finally, more yogurt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.