Impress guests with these delicious and easy to prepare vanilla custard puffs topped with fresh raspberries.
The puffs are simply store-bought vol-au-vent shells filled with a basic vanilla custard. Top with the puffs with a variety of fresh fruit such as berries, mango or kiwi fruit.
Before you start the recipe, take a look at these nine simple steps to a basic vanilla custard.
- 20 small bought vol-au-vent pastry cases
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- VANILLA CUSTARD
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup castor (berry) sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 cups milk
- Fresh berries for topping such as raspberries, strawberries or blackberries
- Use a small, sharp knife to slice the vanilla pod in half length-ways. Use the tip of the knife to scrape out the vanilla seeds onto a plate. Keep the pod to boil in the custard.
- Combine egg yolks, castor sugar and vanilla seeds in a mixing bowl. Use a whisk to combine the ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir through the cornstarch until combined.
- Whisk in the milk, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking continuously, until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the vanilla bean pod to the liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the custard just starts to boil.
- Remove custard from heat and discard the vanilla pod. Pour custard into a bowl. Cover the bowl in plastic cling wrap and press the wrap down onto the surface of the custard. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to cool and set.
- Just before serving, spoon about 1-2 tablespoons of custard into the vol-au-vent pastry shells. Top with fresh berries and serve.