Whenever I bake coconut and raspberry bread, the smell in my kitchen is intoxicating.
The combination of coconut and fresh raspberries is perfect. The berries add a lovely tartness to the bread and help to balance the rich coconut flavor.
The bread is delicious on its own or toasted with a little butter and jam.
The coconut used in this recipe is called "dried desiccated coconut" or "dried coconut shreds".
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups milk (300 mls)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup castor (berry or superfine) sugar
- 2 cups of desiccated coconut (coconut shreds)
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 15 raspberries, halved
- Equipment: 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inch loaf pan
- Makes 2 loaves
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Lightly grease a loaf tin with butter.
- Lightly whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a separate, large bowl. Add the sugar and coconut and stir until just combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
- Add the melted butter and stir until mixture is just smooth but don't over-mix.
- Pour batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour. Test the bread to see if it's ready by inserting a skewer into the middle. If it comes out clean, it's ready.
- Let the bread rest in the pan for 4 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve in thick slices with butter and a little jam.