For an easy, impressive dessert, try this scrumptious blueberry tart.
The filling is a mixture of cream cheese and crème fraîche infused with honey and topped with plump, juicy blueberries.
To bake the tart shell I use two 3" X 3/4" inch fluted tart tins and pie weights however a normal 8" inch pie tin will work just as well.
- TART CRUST
- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 7 Tbsp of cold butter, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- TART FILLING
- 1 cup of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of honey
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp of cornstarch
- Special Equipment: Fluted tart pan with a removable bottom (3" X 3/4") & Pie weights
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Sift the flour, sugar and sea salt in a large bowl. Add the butter to the bowl and rub it with your fingers into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the egg and gently knead for about 2-3 minutes.
- Set the tart tins on a baking sheet and fill them with dough. Press the dough along the bottom and up the sides of the tin. Once this step is completed, cover the tins and refrigerate for about 1/2 an hour.
- To bake the tart shells, place the tins on a baking sheet, butter one side of some foil and then press the buttered side down on to the base of the tart. Add the pie weights on top of the foil to cover the base. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is golden. Once ready, remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Remove pie weights.
- Next, mix together the crème fraîche, cream cheese and honey until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the blueberries in a small pot over a medium heat. Add the sugar, lemon juice and about 1/2 a cup of water. Stir and bring to the boil.
- In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch with about 1/3 cup of hot water to dissolve.
- Once the blueberries are boiling, add the cornstarch mixture slowly and stir until the blueberry mixture thickens. Remove the blueberries from the stove and set aside to cool.
- When you're ready to assemble the tarts, spoon the cream cheese/crème fraîche mixture into the tart shell and then top with blueberry filling. Serve.