Dazzle with a simple blueberry tart infused with lemon zest and vanilla bean. It's such an easy dessert to make but looks impressive and is the perfect end to a meal with friends.
This recipe uses pre-made short-crust pastry which is usually available in the frozen section of supermarkets or delis.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon
- Frozen short-crust pastry for 8 inch (20cm) tart tin, plus extra for lattice work
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Icing sugar to dust
- Vanilla yogurt to serve
- Blind bake the pastry case. Pre-heat oven to 425F (220c).
- Thaw pastry. Check that the pastry is the right size for the tart tin. The pastry should be larger than the tin to allow for the depth of the sides.
- Gently place the pastry into the tin. Use your thumb and forefinger to gently push the pastry down the sides and mould to the tin. Use a fork to prick the base of the pastry. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to allow pastry to rest.
- Remove the tart from the freezer and line with foil. Fill the tart with ceramic baking beads, dried chickpeas or uncooked rice and bake for 10 minutes. Turn heat down to 350F (180) and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully lift out foil and beads. Brush base with egg and place tart back in the oven to bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut strips for lattice top crust. Cut strips of about 1/2 inch (1cm). Place in fridge to rest.
- Place sugar, vanilla bean paste, cornstarch, lemon juice and zest in a large mixing bowl. Mix well to dissolve. Add blueberries and stir well to coat. Place blueberries in tart shell. Arrange strips of pastry on top of filling in a lattice design, pinching edges to seal.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350f (180C) for 40 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar just before serving. Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.