The Pavlova is claimed by both Australia and New Zealand as the national dessert. It's easy to see why.
This light-as-a-feather meringue cake is adorned with freshly whipped cream, bananas and passionfruit. A stunning tropical dessert that's both impressive and delicious.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 4 egg whites (approximately 150mls)
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch sifted
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup (250ml) pouring cream
- 1 ripe but firm banana
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup passionfruit pulp (approx 4 passionfruit)
- Preheat the oven to 275F (140C) and place the rack in middle of the oven. Line a baking tray with baking paper and draw a 7 inch circle on the foil with a pen. Set aside.
- In a clean, medium-sized metal bowl, beat the egg whites with a clean electric mixer on medium speed. Beat until the whites form soft peaks.
- Gently sprinkle the sugar into the egg whites, one teaspoon at a time. Don't just lump the sugar in the bowl and never stop beating the eggs until you finish the sugar. Your egg whites should now be glossy stiff peaks.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch and vinegar on the meringue and fold in gently with a plastic spatula. Add the vanilla and gently fold the mixture again.
- Now gently spread the meringue in the circle on the foil to make a circular base. Make sure the edges of the meringue are slightly higher then the center so you have a very slight well in the middle.
- Bake the meringue for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until it goes a very pale, pinkish egg shell color.
- Turn the oven off and leave the door slightly ajar to let the meringue cool completely. As the meringue cools, it will crack slightly.
- Just before serving, take the meringue out of the oven and remove it gently from the foil and place on a plate.
- Whip the cream it forms peaks. Slice the banana and toss it in 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and the passionfruit pulp.
- Gently spread the cream to the top of the meringue with a spatula and arrange the fruit on top.