This beautiful baked rice custard with vanilla poached plums is a combination of a simple rice pudding and a smooth baked custard. Plums poached with vanilla complement this dessert with their sweet tartness.
You could pair the baked rice pudding with a variety of poached fruits including strawberries, raspberries or quince.
My personal favorite are these vanilla poached plums.
- 3/4 cup of medum-grain rice
- 3 cups of milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of castor (berry) sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- A pinch of ground nutmeg
- Special equipment: a large baking pan and a 6-cup ovenproof dish
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Cook the rice according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, sugar, eggs and vanilla until combined. Add the rice to the egg mixture and stir well.
- Line the base of a large baking pan with a clean kitchen cloth, folded to fit, and place the ovenproof dish in the pan on top of the cloth. Pour the custard mixture into the dish. Sprinkle evenly with nutmeg. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to reach halfway up the side of the ovenproof dish.
- Bake custard in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the ovenproof dish from the baking pan and set aside for 1 hour to cool slightly. Serve with vanilla poached plums.