A perfect recipe for the novice baker, pick up some pre-made filo pastry for this lovely apple and passionfruit strudel recipe.
I love serving this strudel with a splash of colorful strawberry sauce for a burst of tart sweetness and a dollop of vanilla ice-cream that brings the flavors and textures together.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 green apples
- Pulp from three passionfruit or 1/4 cup of canned passionfruit pulp
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- Oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- ***Strawberry sauce***
- 20 ounces (570g) strawberries, washed, hulled & halved
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Vanilla ice-cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Soak currants in Grand Marnier for 15 minutes. Drain and reserve liquid.
- Peel and core apples. Cut into small, evenly sized cubes. Place apples into a bowl with passionfruit pulp, lemon juice, zest, currants, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Place a sheet of filo onto a workbench. Spray with cooking oil. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs. Top with another sheet of filo pastry and continue to layer with filo and breadcrumbs until you have six layers.
- Spoon apple mixture neatly along the long edge of filo, leaving a 1" border at the short ends.
- Fold ends in and gently roll up. Lift onto prepared tray and place seam side down. Spray with cooking oil and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
- Meanwhile, make the strawberry sauce. Place the strawberries in a saucepan with 3 tablespoons of water. Heat over a medium-high heat. After 2 minutes add reserved Grand Marnier liquid. Turn heat down to medium and let strawberries release their liquid and stew for about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Pass through a sieve and reserve strawberry sauce in a bowl until needed. Discard pulp.
- After 45 minutes, remove strudel from oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Slice and dust with icing sugar. Drizzle on some strawberry sauce and serve with a dollop of ice-cream or yogurt.