No need to head out to your local Chinese restaurant anymore, finally you can make your very own salt and pepper prawns.
Juicy prawns are coated in a light batter, fried and then tossed in a tasty five spice mix.
You can also substitute prawns with calamari.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- ***FIVE SPICE MIX***
- 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp celery powder
- 1/2 Tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 4 green shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 20 green prawns peeled and deveined, tails on
- 2 Tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup cornflour for dipping
- 500ml Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Mix together the five spice mix ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together the chopped garlic, shallots and chili. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the self-raising flour, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1/4 cup of water to make a paste.
- Add prawns to the paste mixture and coat well. Transfer prawns to a clean bowl and add cornflour. Mix well to coat but don't let them sit too long as they will become soggy.
- Heat 500ml oil in a wok or deep frying pan over medium-high heat until a small piece of bread browns in 10 seconds.
- Cook prawns in batches for 1-2 minutes or until golden then transfer and drain on paper towels. Cook remaining prawns and drain.
- Discard some of the oil from the frying pan so you have about 2 tablespoons remaining. Add shallots, garlic and chilli to pan. Fry for 30 seconds over a medium heat. Return prawns to pan and add 2 to 3 tsp of the five spice mix. Toss well to combine then serve immediately.