While there is no meat to be found in these sausage rolls, they still hit the spot. Filled with curried mashed potato, peas and carrots, veggie sausage rolls make a great snack or light lunch.
There's a great fusing of flavors in this recipe with the combination of Indian spices such as tumeric and cumin and Thai sweet chilli dipping sauce.
Before starting, check out these simple step-by-step instructions on how to make sausage rolls.
- 3 medium yellow potatoes, peeled & quartered (enough to make 3 cups of mashed potato)
- 1 tsp of sea salt
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp ground cilantro seeds (coriander seeds)
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/3 cup of frozen peas
- 1/3 cup of chopped carrots
- 1 Tbsp of finely chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 Tbsp of vegetable or canola oil
- Store-bought puff pastry squares to make 7 sausage rolls 5.5" x 5.5" (12cm x 12 cm) squares
- Milk for brushing
- 1 egg beaten for brushing
- Thai sweet chili sauce for dipping
- Boil the potatoes until soft -- about 15-20 minutes. Drain well and then mash with 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent for about 3 minutes. Add the dry spices and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots and peas and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Next, add the chopped cilantro and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the mashed potato and stir well with a wooden spoon to combine mixture. Fry for another minute and then remove from stove to cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Make sure puff pastry squares are thawed. Spoon 3-4 tablespoonfuls of the cooled potato mixture into the center of a pastry square.
- Fold the pastry over and seal it carefully. Lift the whole thing up and turn it over so that the sealed edge is underneath.
- Snip the ends of the sausage roll to ensure that it is neat and the filling isn't falling out. Repeat the process with remaining pastry.
- Brush the tops of the sausage rolls with beaten egg and then sprinkle on cumin seeds.
- Place the sausage rolls on the lined baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with Thai sweet chilli sauce for dipping.