Vegetable & buffalo mozzarella stacks are an excellent appetizer to serve at room temperature. They're easy to prepare and even easier to eat!
The stacks are made of grilled zucchini rounds topped with a slice of ripe tomato, buffalo mozzarella and garnished with fresh basil. I usually drizzle the stacks with a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
One thing to remember when preparing this recipe, is try to buy zucchinis and tomatoes that are of similar in size when cut into rounds. Also, buffalo mozzarella can be substituted with regular mozzarella.
- 2 large zucchinis, sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 2 large balls of buffalo mozzarella
- A handful of sweet basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Sea salt
- Serves 6-8
- Heat up the grill and drizzle the zucchini rounds with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Grill the zucchini until very lightly browned on both sides - about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the tomatoes and mozzarella into a similar thickness as the zucchini, about 1 inch slices.
- Arrange the grilled zucchini on a serving plate and allow to cool. Once cooled, assemble the stacks by placing on a slice of tomato followed by the mozzarella and finally, top with a basil leaf.
- Sprinkle on a little sea salt followed by a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Serve.