Impress guests with these incredibly easy to make smoked trout endive appetizers.
The delicate endives are filled with a mixture of smoked trout, creme fraîche and then topped with slivers of green apple. The tart apple lends its crisp fruitiness to the smokey flavors.
This recipe is one that you can make ahead and then assemble just before serving -- the perfect party food!
A note on preparation -- cut the apple into slivers just before serving to ensure it doesn't discolor.
- 2 small endives, ends chopped off and leaves separated
- 1 filet of smoked trout
- 2 Tbsp of creme fraîche
- Half a green apple, finely slivered - do just before serving
- Chives for sprinkling
- A dash of paprika
- A pinch of sea salt
- Chop about 1.5cm off the end of the endives. Separate the leaves and rinse them. Gently dry them with a paper towel. Set aside.
- If there's skin on the smoked trout, remove it by peeling it off and discarding it.
- Place the trout in a mixing bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the creme fraîche and mix well. Sprinkle on some sea salt and mix again.
- Once you're ready to serve, spoon about 1 tsp of the mixture into the individual endives.
- Cut the apple into fine slivers and garnish the endives with them. Just before serving, sprinkle on some paprika.