Spice up the party with these sweet potato and bocconcini skewers. The sweet potato is roasted, cubed and rolled in a spice mix of ground cilantro seeds, chili flakes and salt and then skewered with a ball of pesto bocconcini cheese.
Bocconcini mozzarella cheese can be found at most Italian delis or gourmet food shops as can the pesto. I marinate the cheese in the pesto for at least 1 hour.
If you can't find mozzarella balls, you can substitute them with a mild-tasting cheese.
The flavors in this recipe are wonderful -- a mixture of creamy, spicy, herby and garlicky. You won't be able to stop at just one!
- 1 large sweet potato cut into large chunks
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of dried chili flakes
- 1 Tbs of cilantro seeds
- 1-2 cloves
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 2 mozzarella balls or 1 container of small bocconcini balls
- 1 small container of pesto
- Wooden cocktail skewers
- Mortar & pestle for grinding
- Makes approximately 20
- If you are using large mozzarella balls, then cut them into bite-sized pieces and marinate them in the pesto for at least 1 hour. If you're using little bocconcini balls, they are small enough and so not need cutting so just marinate them as they are.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Place the sweet potato chunks in a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 35-40 minutes or until firm but tender.
- Remove from oven and cool. Once cooled, cut the sweet potato into 1 inch (2cm) cubes.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind together the chili flakes, cilantro seeds and salt until the ingredients are quote fine.
- Press down one side of the sweet potato into the spice mix and then first skewer on a piece of pesto mozzarella followed by a piece of spiced sweet potato. Repeat process.