Vietnamese prawn rice paper rolls are so delicious that it's hard to believe that they're also really healthy.
These rolls have been popular in Australia for some time - appearing in restaurants and cafes around the country.
Rice paper sheets are softened in hot water and then filled with lettuce, cucumber and cooked prawns (shrimp). Cilantro, mint and Thai basil add freshness and the sweet-salty-spicy-sour dipping sauce adds that unmistakable south-east Asian flavor.
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2 cups of cooked rice vermicelli noodles
- 10-12 round rice paper sheets (16cm or 6" diameter)
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup of fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, washed and torn into strips
- Nuoc Cham Dipping Sauce
- 2 small, red Bird chillies
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp palm sugar
- Juice from 2 fresh limes
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp of rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of cold water
- Boil some water in a medium saucepan. Add shrimp to boiling water and simmer for about 1 minute or until the shrimp turn white and orange. Remove shrimp from water with a slotted spoon. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut shrimp lengthwise in half.
- Cook rice vermicelli according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Soak one rice paper sheet in a large bowl of warm water for about 20 to 30 seconds or until soft. The sheet may curl at the edges so try to flip it with your fingers when it does this. Gently remove sheet from water and drain on paper towel. Place sheet on a clean work surface.
- Place some lettuce strips, mint, basil, cilantro and cucumber along the middle of sheet. Shape the filling into a compact log and ensure that you leave about 1" of space at the top and bottom. Top with 3 shrimp halves.
- Fold in ends and top with 1 garlic chive. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Repeat to make remaining rice paper rolls.
- Make the nuoc cham dipping sauce. Pound the chillies and garlic in a mortar and pestle to form a paste. Add palm sugar and pound until combined. Transfer paste to a small mixing bowl.
- Add lime juice, fish sauce, vinegar and 2 tablespoons cold water. Whisk together until combined well. Serve with Vietnamese rice paper rolls.