Impress guests with succulent Thai coconut shrimp served with a chilli lime mayonnaise.
For this recipe, the shrimp should be shelled and de-veined before coating them in desiccated coconut. And remember, the coconut should be unsweetened.
- 30 medium shrimp, shelled & de-veined
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup of unsweetened, desiccated coconut
- 2 cups of vegetable oil for frying
- Mayo Dipping Sauce
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp of finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp of dried chilli flakes
- Combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, cilantro and dried chilli flakes in a small bowl. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until needed.
- Mix the salt into the flour. Place the flour, beaten egg and coconut in 3 separate bowls. Hold the prawns by their tails, dip them, one at a time, into the flour then shake off any excess.
- Next, dip prawns into the egg, then press firmly into the coconut to coat evenly. Transfer to a plate. Repeat process with remaining shrimp.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over a high heat. Once the oil starts to swirl, test it by dropping in a small piece of bread. If the oil is ready, the bread will turn golden in about 20 seconds.
- Add several shrimp to the oil and cook until golden - about 1-2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer cooked shrimp to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining shrimp.
- Arrange shrimp on a platter and serve with chilli lime mayo.