Caprese salad is a perfect summertime recipe for those in a hurry.
The simple salad consists of ripe Roma tomatoes paired with fresh cow's milk mozzarella cheese, known as "mozzarella fior di latte" and sweet basil. The salad is then very lightly dressed in good quality extra virgin olive oil. While some like to add balsamic vinegar, the strong acidity can often deter from the delicate flavor of the cheese.
- 2 large ball of fresh mozzarella (also known as mozzarella fior di latte), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 ripe roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 10-12 sweet basil leaves, washed and patted dry
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Serves 4
- On a large platter arrange tomato and mozzarella slices and basil leaves, alternating and overlapping them. Sprinkle salad with a little salt and pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve.