A twist on the classic Aussie appetizer -- the barbecued prawn cocktail. Succulent char-grilled prawns are served on a bed of baby cos lettuce, avocado and cherry tomatoes and topped with a spicy mayo infused with lime juice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
- 8 baby cos lettuces, washed, halved
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 16 large green prawns, peeled and de-veined, tails intact
- Vegetable oil for brushing prawns
- ***COCKTAIL SAUCE***
- 1/3 cup egg mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- Prepare the cocktail sauce by combining ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix well. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Divide lettuce among 4 dishes then add avocado and tomatoes. Drizzle with a little cocktail sauce.
- Heat a chargrill or barbecue to high. Brush the prawns with a little vegetable oil. Season well with sea salt. Grill the prawns for 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly charred and cooked through.
- Arrange 4 prawns on each salad. Drizzle with a little more cocktail sauce. Serve immediately.