With spring comes strawberries, and lots of them. Queensland is Australia's largest grower of strawberries producing approximately 75 million punnets a year.
One of my favorite ways to prepare the much-loved berries is to dip them in chocolate. They're a guaranteed crowd pleaser and they're so easy to make.
For something a little old fashioned, try out this strawberry jam. Nothing beats the intense flavor of homemade jam or the chunks of real strawberry that burst in your mouth.
Sometimes I like to start my morning off with a healthy strawberry & yogurt smoothie. It's not too heavy or too sweet and often keeps me going until lunchtime...just in time for a strawberry & mixed green salad tossed with apple, toasted pinenuts and Gruyere cheese.Strawberry Facts
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family
- Strawberries are the only fruit to have their seeds on the outside
- Strawberries are high in vitamin C, folic acid, antioxidants and dietary fiber
- It's best to eat strawberries raw to benefit from its nutrients
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in Spring
Photo: © S. Wongkaew (2008) licensed to About.com, Inc